WhatARTrails is an annual event in which the public is invited to visit the studios of participating Sonoma County artists, view their work, speak with the artists, ask them questions, and buy unique pieces of art.
- You’ll find quality work. This is a juried program, meaning that only those artists who are approved into the program are able to participate. The 7-person jury is made up of different art professionals each year. These include other artists, art instructors, gallery directors, or curators.
- This is an excellent opportunity to do some holiday shopping and find unique, personal gifts from Sonoma County. Once you find that perfect gift, make sure to ask the artist a few questions about it so that you can pass on the information to the recipient. In the past, I’ve taken my holiday cards with me. And after buying a gift, I’ve asked the artist to sign the card as well, making the present even more special. (By the way, this isn't an inherent part of the ARTrails event. But, so far, everyone has been very accommodating.)
- Make it an event. Sonoma County is gorgeous during the month of October. So, this is a great excuse to drive through the back roads and view this region’s beauty as well as its art.
WhereArtists' studios throughout Sonoma County are open for the event.
How MuchVisiting the studios is free to the public.
Contact Info:The program is put together by the Arts Council of Sonoma County [/br] email@example.com
The First Step:The first step is to get a copy of the free ARTrails catalog which has sample photos of each artist’s work and a map of where the studios are located. Decide which artists you’d like to visit and circle their location on the map and plan out your route. Of course, you can get the same information on the website and print out the map, but it’s easier to just get the catalog.
Where to Get the Catalog:Starting in late September, the color catalogs can be found throughout Sonoma County at:
- visitor centers
- most art galleries and museums
- many locally owned businesses.
- The Arts Council Gallery
529 Fifth Street
downtown Santa Rosa
- Copperfield's Bookstores:
2316 Montgomery Dr.
138 North Main St.
140 Kentucky St.
1330 Lincoln Ave.
3900A Bel Aire Plaza
Hwy. 29 & Trancas St.
- Rileystreet Art Supply
103 Maxwell Ct.
500 W. Napa St.